Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Saddam - Eye for an eye?

In the last and final moments of Saddam's life, I ended up sympathizing with him. Picturize this. You are about to die. You know you just have 2-3 minutes left in your life. What will you do? What will you think about? Will you at all be able to think? Watching Saddam walk his way to the gallows, I forgot who the person was. A gruesome dictactor, butcher of his own people, corrupt administrator. Whatever. It didnt matter.

How did justice catch up with him so quickly? Was it because he was Saddam and Bush needed something to crow about? Possible. Nevertheless, it was a gruesome act and vindicates the age old belief that you have to give an eye for an eye. Is it right? Morally, ethically? That be damned. The US will parade this as a great victory.

The execution has left me with mixed feelings. Do I rejoice that a dictator fell or do I feel bad for the man in his last moments?

Am confused.

No comments: